UK: Government publishes first ever national action plan to protect journalists - International Burch University
walt disney company 2
NHL, Disney reach groundbreaking broadcast deal
March 11, 2021
ezgif.com gif maker 2
Video editing for beginners: the ultimate guide
March 11, 2021

UK: Government publishes first ever national action plan to protect journalists

csm Gender Based violence visual C190 3527194b51 1

The United Kingdom’s government has published the country’s first national action plan to protect journalists from abuse and harassment. The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) and the National Union of Journalists (NUJ) welcomed the plan and said it was an important step towards ensuring journalists can carry out their work free from harassment and attack.

Following a survey of members last year, which found that more than half of respondents had experienced online abuse and nearly a quarter had been physically assaulted or attacked, the NUJ called for action to halt the rising instances of harassment and abuse, both on and off-line. The union also highlighted the disproportionate abuse aimed at women and black and minority ethnic journalists.

Michelle Stanistreet, NUJ general secretary and member of the National Committee for the Safety of Journalists, said: “Attacks on journalists are designed to silence and intimidate those who work to uphold the public’s right to know. NUJ members have shared horrific experiences of being attacked, abused and threatened – on and offline – simply for doing their job. It’s clear that reported incidents are the tip of the iceberg and that harassment and abuse has become normalised.”

This action plan, with its range of practical measures and protections, is an important step towards changing that and ensuring journalists can get on with their vital work free from harassment or intimidation”, she added.

Range of measures to ensure protection for journalists

The plan, which was launched with cross-party support, sets out a range of measures designed to ensure freelance and staff journalists are protected and supported. It calls on platforms to do more to stamp out online abuse, and on the criminal justice system to ensure those who attack and threaten journalists are brought to justice.

The Home Office will launch a call for evidence intended to more clearly understand the scale of the problem. The NUJ will be a key partner in rolling out the work within the action plan, including developing an online tool kit for journalists and an annual survey to track progress.

The government said:

  • The plan sets out how journalists will be protected from threats of violence and intimidation.
  • It includes new measures to research the problem and training for police forces and journalists.
  • Broadcasters, publishers, social media companies, law enforcement, industry bodies, unions and the government have all made pledges.

IFJ General Secretary, Anthony Bellanger, said: “At a time when attacks and threats against journalists are on the rise, we welcome this national action plan which has the potential to offer greater protection to journalists. Frontline media professionals have a vital role to play in scrutinising the decisions of government, in holding power to account. For too long journalists have had to endure threats and intimidation for doing their job – online and off-line. With political will and commitment this plan can be a turning point, enabling them to better serve citizens. We applaud the NUJ for its strong work and determination in making it happen.”

Source: https://www.ifj.org

Department of Digital Communications and Public Relations